27 June 2018

Karya Syaz #1: Kisah Dua Kucing | Bahasa Inggeris



"So you're leaving?" If he heard my voice cracked at the end of the sentence, he didn't say anything. I looked up at him perching on the step, face still and indifferent just like the first time I met him years ago.

"Yes. You understand that I can't stay here anymore," he said. If I wasn't searching on his face for something, anything, any indication that this is not his choice if he had one, I would have missed the nervous twinge of his whiskers. I frowned because for him to be nervous means there is something big is going on. Bigger than any of us strays could understand.

"No one explain anything to me. I don't understand why you have to leave. Puss.."

"Puss has made the decision, Skimp," he cut me off. "He has to honor his decision. I have to honor his decision. Isn't that what we have left. Honor?"

"It's wrong," my voice small. I looked down at the nearest pieces of leaves. It trembles when the wind pick up. The autumn is almost over. Soon winter is coming. It means we have to find a shelter from cold weather, finding food will be hard. Some of us won't make it until the season's over.

"Why can't I come with you?" I looked up at him defiantly.

"Skimp.."

"No!" I shouted and took a step forward. "Why do I have to stay here with them? You're the one who save me from death years ago. You're the one who taught me all I know. So why can't I come with you?"

He stared into my eyes not blinking. I stared back at him. He sighed and looked away.

"Winter is coming, Skimp. I can't dragged you around in the cold, shivering and hungry. My survival is highest if I'm alone"

"But.."

"This discussion is over." His voice stern. The voice that he rarely used against me. Only when one of his lackey messed up bad. Only when he needs to stop me from doing anything stupid.

My ears tweaked when we heard a few young kids running around nearby. I almost run away. My flight instinct is still the dominant one. Only realizing that he doesn't even moving from the step stop me from scrambling away. Kids tends to be a bit cruel around this neighbourhood. But he looked calm, maybe he recognized them.

He looked at me and said, "Go home kid. There's nothing left for me here."

I looked up at him. Tears in my eyes. I know there is nothing left to be said. He won't change his mind. The decision is made. The strays have spoken. If only my voice is loud enough to protest. Bamby gave me a wistful smile and walked away. I watched him go. Watched how the increasingly cold wind make his fur billow. He walked proud. Away from the only home he knows.


*****

Aku jumpa short story yang aku tulis pada tahun 2015 dalam evernote. Dah 3 tahun ia berhabuk dalam tu jadi aku rasa nak kongsi. Aku jumpa gambar ni dalam satu writing prompt kat tumblr. Aku ingat aku tulis short story ni sekaligus terus siap. Kadang-kadang bila ada cerita dalam kepala tak boleh berhenti selagi tak selesai tulis. Tapi kadang-kadang, susah betul nak mula menulis. Tersekat.

Kalau perasan, aku tulis short story ini dalam past tense. Tapi, banyak tempat yang tiba-tiba present tense. Aku malas nak edit so aku just copy paste je.

No comments: